Thursday, March 29, 2012

Progress Report (Sans Cleaning Help)

Wednesday: I skipped the supermarket today because I wanted to clean out my freezer first. I turned up the music and got to work. It felt invigorating to accomplish this task. Seriously, you know how people get high from doing exercise? I’m sure the same can be said from cleaning.

I ran to the hardware store for some contact paper. I cleaned out three cabinets and got busy lining them. UPS delivered my hand mixer and fleishig pots and pans set (all bought with points.)

I had to cook supper since there were not enough leftovers from the previous day. We ate on plastic plates, as we have been all week to save me the time that would have been otherwise spent dishwashing.

After supper, when the kids were in bed, I really schlepped out the work. Took a break here, some online shopping, took a break there, read a magazine article, checked my email, made some phone calls… It was close to midnight by the time I was done, but the next morning, there were three empty cupboards all washed and lined for Pesach.

Thursday: I hit the supermarket. I bought a new broom and some Pesach food for the kids to eat during ‘limbo’ week after Shabbos HaGadol when we have no chometz left in the house but it’s not yet Pesach so we can’t eat matzo yet. I also bought meat and chicken and lots of Pesach necessities. I bought two pounds of matzo on sale for $20. (I figured it was a good price because other brands were going for that much for only one pound. When I had my husband on the line to discuss which matzo to buy, he was like, “What do they put in them, gold?”)

I had my purchase delivered but had to carry the matzo and the broom home. I was not planning on this. I thought I’d be able to do another errand on the way home, but not with my hands so full. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow.

I started cleaning out the fridge before my order arrived. It took hours to finish. One part is actually still not completed, but I’ll do it tonight when the kids are in bed.

I saw a ‘cleaning lady wanted’ ad for $10/hour. Wow. I used to work in an office for that amount, when I was a girl. I don’t think I’d make a good ‘cleaning lady’ for $10/hour…or any amount. I work too slowly (with all my breaks) pacing my energy. That doesn’t stop me from telling the kids not to disturb the ‘cleaning lady’ when I’m trying to get something cleaned at home!

I’d shared my kitchen progress with my sister-in-law on the phone, two days ago. Despite my little accomplishments, she admitted to having done even less than me. I felt so good, like I was ‘ahead of the game’. Then, when I spoke to her yesterday, inquiring where she was holding, she said she was almost finished her kitchen! I was amazed. How was it possible? To go almost from zero to a hundred in one day?!? Then, I figured it out. “You must have had a cleaning lady,” I declared.

“Yes, I wouldn’t have been able to do it without one.”

Whenever I broach the subject of Pesach cleaning, my husband has been suggesting I get a cleaning lady. I always decline. I don’t have regular cleaning help. I always considered a cleaning woman a luxury. I have always been very independent when it comes to housework. Without having a history with anyone that I could trust them, I prefer not to hire some stranger to go through my house. (I hear too many stories of people being robbed by the cleaning help.) I also know too many women who are beside themselves because their cleaning woman fails to show up, or because she quit, or is not going a good job and they need to find someone new. I don’t want to be at the mercy of some cleaning help like the stranded victims so many women turn into. I never took ‘Acquiring and Maintaining Cleaning Help 101’ and would be clueless about bossing around some Spanish speaking immigrant.

So, yes, I am a freak. An oddity. Either, I’m incredibly brave to undertake Pesach-cleaning my home on my own, or I’m incredibly naïve. In any event, it takes me much longer to Pesach-clean than people who rely on cleaning help. Which makes a lot of sense.

I recently met someone who was just like me; she cleaned her house herself. She claimed she hated cleaning women. She used to have one, but found that she did a better job herself.

Even that woman who goes about her daily life without cleaning help admits she needs to get some for Pesach-cleaning. Then again, she works a daily job. I don’t. I have all the time in the world to clean, at my own pace, without wearing myself ragged.

I prefer to splurge on buying myself gifts on occasion rather than splurge on cleaning help that the kids will nullify the very same day. A jewel encrusted fashion accessory or new pair of shoes will last longer!

I have four cabinets and two drawers left in the kitchen. The rest of the list from my previous post, also remains. I forgot to add the garbage cans to the list.

Today FedEx delivered my electric burners. Now my husband is talking about returning them and kashering the stovetop instead – now that he figured out how to do it. I said, “If you want to do it, go ahead!”



1 comment:

  1. wow! you do sound accomplished B"H!
    i admit it...i have cleaning help - esp this time of year! (then again, i work - but even if I didn't, I probably would have some help)

    ReplyDelete