Monday, January 2, 2012

Sometimes The Hardest Part of The Project Is Getting To It

Before beginning a grandiose project, it makes sense to lay out all the tasks in a neat list. This way you have something to check off with each accomplishment. Unfortunately, I could spend a week compiling a list (did I mention I have a knack for overcomplicating things?) so I decided instead that my first task would be to clean the master bedroom.

You would think a bedroom would take a few hours to clean, perhaps a day, max. Not when the day begins on a late note. I went to sleep too late; did not sleep well; woke up too late and by the time my children were all in school and I returned home from my daughter’s playgroup and the corner grocery store, it’s not hard to figure that it was already practically 10 AM. I had not yet eaten a morsel of food, never mind a coffee. (Not that I drink coffee, just saying.)

How was I going to make Pesach, I wondered, when I couldn’t even get my act together on a given Monday morning?

Granted, it was not really the typical Monday. My boys’ varsity buses were not running due to the January 1st holiday.

Hopefully once things get back on schedule, I will too.

Time to start Pesach cleaning! Yes. First I need to eat a good breakfast of whole wheat bread, eggs and carrot juice. Then I throw a load into the washing machine and prepare the supper so that it is gently cooking on the stove. Do you spot a trend here? None of the above mentioned items have anything to do with Pesach cleaning.

Sigh.

Enter the master bedroom. A load of laundry sits on the bed, waiting to be folded. I sort my way through the basket. Everything is now in its corresponding drawer. Whew! It’s already almost 11 AM. I decide to start with the armoire. It has not been cleaned or organized in months! I empty the shelf containing my sweaters and tops. A handful of tops have closet stains. These go in a pile. If the stains come out in the next wash, fine – otherwise the tops will have to go. I don’t mind. It’s about time; most of them are years old.

The next shelf contains hair styling accessories, important documents and a lot of junk to sort through. A lot of it goes into the trash. Much of it goes back onto the shelf after it has been cleaned of dust and microscopic crumbs. There is one more shelf left, but I decide to save that for later. Whoever dreamed two shelves would be so exhausting? I am spent. It is time for lunch.

Funny how the rest of the bedroom looks so much messier because the shelves are so much neater! (Many objects that were in the armoire now require replacement in different spots. In the meantime, they are piled high on the dresser.)

I did a bit more dusting in the room. That was it. My first stint at Pesach Cleaning 2012.

Now you know why I had to start in January.



2 comments:

  1. Please do not confuse Pesach cleaning with Spring cleaning. There usually is no food on the shelves where you keep your clothing. Take out pile look and put back pile. What you are doing is cleaning and organizing while "pesach" cleaning. It is chametz you are looking for, NOT dirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but ACTUAL Pesach cleaning can't exactly be done now because the kids will just undo it. So I can do the things that never get done unless you do them because of the Pesach pretext ;)

    ReplyDelete